Mission in Action - Mission Presbytery

Thursday, September 03, 2009

Thank you letter from Megan McCarty, YAV

Hey Moneta,

First of all, I have to say I am so thankful for the money you were able to send to me. It was so helpful and unexpected and I really can't say thank you enough. I am sorry this email has taken me so long to get out, the summer has been a little busy, to say the least. I just returned from a short training in Miami and have a few days to catch up on rest before I have to leave for YAV orientation in New York. I have already fallen in love with Miami, even only haven been there for four days! I am actually working in Florida City, a smaller community about 45 minutes south of Miami. I got the chance to meet a few of the children and youth I will be working with and it really pumped me up and got me excited to start the upcoming year.

Here's a small excerpt from a letter I wrote to my home church, with some new information. I kind of got a little carried away because I could talk for hours on the subject! :) Feel free to edit down as much as you need to. I hope it will be helpful in inspiring other churches in the Presbytery to support this worthy cause. If you would like, I am keeping a blog this year about my experiences, which I would invite you to read and follow along during this incredible upcoming journey. http://megancolleentravel.blogspot.com/. I really can't say thank you enough for your prayers and financial support in my endeavors.

Blessings and peace! Megan

Megan's letter to her church:

My name is Megan McCarty and I have decided to dedicate the next year of my life to serving others in need through the YAV (Young Adult Volunteer) Program. This is a fantastic opportunity in my life and I am very excited for the year ahead. I have chosen to live in Miami, FL this year and devote my time to an after school program called Branches. Miami is an amazingly unique city; in the United States, it is ranked as the fifth wealthiest city, however, it also has the third highest poverty rate. Various immigrant and refugee populations have shaped Miami, making it a very diverse culture. The YAV site in Miami is a program designed to help inform, educate, challenge, and motivate individuals to respond to the issues and concerns facing urban America and to challenge individuals to consider ministry and service as a daily part of their life.

Branches is a program that really helps children and youth stay off the streets and out of the dangers and realities that they face in their daily lives. It is a Christian based ministry that teaches kids that there is a different way of life than what they know. It gives them a place to go and a home where they can feel safe and loved. However, it is so much more than an after school program. While the majority of what is offered is tutoring, it is a program that functions 100% on relationships. We may not be able to transform a child's poor grades into A's, however, we can give them a friend and confidant that they will find no where else in their lives. Not to mention, the fact that Branches offers other services such as free tax services, free parenting clinics, and lots of other free services for families, children, and young adults. I am very excited for the upcoming year and cannot wait to see how my life will be transformed by these experiences and by these youth. God is doing good work down in Miami and I am excited to see how he will use me and mold me in this adventure!